Thornbury Township was named from Thornbury in
Gloucestershire, England. One of the earliest and most influential
inhabitants of this township was George Peirce, whose wife was a native of
Thornbury, in England, and the township was named in compliment to her.
It was organized in the year 1687 by the appointment of Hugh Durborrow as
constable, when not more than 5 or 6 families had settled within its limits.
It was surveyed in right of the first purchasers. This township, and
Birmingham and Westtown are the only townships within the present limits of
Chester County which were organized before 1704.
When Delaware County was
erected in the year 1789, the townships of Thornbury and Birmingham were
divided. Thornbury in Chester county contains all but about 1/4 of the
territory of the original township, and is one of the smallest townships in the
This page was updated on March 1, 2009