GUNKLE, Michael, about the beginning of the last decade of the last century, came from Philadelphia (where he was a mill burr-maker) to East Whiteland township. Here he purchased a thousand acres of land, cleared off the timber, put up many buildings, two grist-mills, a saw-mill, and made other valuable improvements. He married Catharine Miller, born at Millbaugh, in Lebanon County, where her father owned one of the oldest mills in the State, and once used as a fort for protecting the settlers from Indians. Catharine (Miller) Gunkle's paternal grandmother was a Miss Pechin, a Huguenot, who fled from France to escape persecutions, and married Martin Miller, an emigrant from Germany. Michael Gunkle left four sons,-John, Michael, William, and Daniel. His real estate was divided into three shares, Michael getting his proportion in other property. The Gunkle family is of German extraction, and Michael had two brothers, who settled in Ohio, from one of whom is descended ex-Congressman L.B. Gunkle, of Dayton, in that state. Michael Gunkle was a man of wonderful energy, an indomitable will, manifested great public spirit, and was highly esteemed.
Daniel Gunkle was married, Oct. 29, 1822, to Sarah Kugler, born July 15, 1803. She was the daughter of John and Harriet Kugler, of Lower Merion, Montgomery co., granddaughter of Paul Kugler, and great-granddaughter of a German emigrant who settled in Eastern Pennsylvania in the early part of the last century. To Daniel and Sarah (Kugler0 Gunkle were born nine children,-George W., Dr. William H. (dec'd), Harriet C. (died young), Eliza C. (m. John Dunwoody), Michael M., Harriet A. (m. Dr. Frank Rieser, of Berks County), John F., Victoria J. (m. Dr. John G. Thomas, of Delaware County), and Sarah S. Of the sons, George W. m. Louise Watson, Dr. William H. m. Mary R. Ellmaker, and John F. m. A. Lizzie Davis.
Daniel Gunkle died Dec. 3, 1879, and his surviving widow resides on the
homestead with her unmarried son, Michael M. Mr. Gunkle was well educated,
having attended, besides the common schools, the famous school of Rev. Mr.
Grier, at Brandywine Manor. He was a member of the East Whiteland
Presbyterian Church. Though a miller by trade, he made farming his general
avocation. He was interested in all public improvements, and was
universally respected in the community.