Pauperism in Chester County
The care of the poor received attention at an
early date, and overseers were appointed in each township who had power to
levy a tax upon the inhabitants for their support. There were often
disputes as to the legal residence of the persons needing relief, so in 1798
an act was passed providing for the erection of Houses for the employment and
support of the Poor in the counties of Chester And Lancaster, and providing
for the election of 6 directors....these first directors were Edward
Darlington, Ephraim Wilson, Joseph Cope, David Denny, William Trimble and
The first house was finally erected ca 1800, was of brick and stood till 1855 when it was succeeded by the
present structure *( 1881).
The following are the first stewards and matrons -
- 1800 - John Gibbons and wife Sarah
- 1807 - Warwick Martin and wife, Ruth
- 1813 - William Strickland and wife
- 1815 - Ebenezer Speakman and wife Lydia
- 1823 - Gibbons Grey and wife Martha
- 1830 - William Michener and wife Rachel
- 1837 - William H. Taylor and wife Sarah
- 1841 - Walker Yarnall and wife Elizabeth
- 1848 - Joseph Thompson and wife Elizabeth S.
- 1852 - Thomas Baker and wife Ann
- 1863 - Wellington C. James and wife Louisa D.
- 1864 - Abner Baldwin and wife Phebe
- 1866 - Joshua Wickersham and wife Amy
- 1868 - Joseph B. Clark and wife
- 1868 - Dr. William W. Townsend and wife
- 1869 - Hayes Conuer and wife Elizabeth B.
This page updated on January 31, 2009