In the early days of the
province, Benjamin Chambers of Philadelphia took up a large quantity of land
on the Brandywine which he sold to settlers. Joseph Taylor purchased
several hundred acres from him in 1711, and afterwards built a mill on the
Pocopson Creek. The Marshalls settled the northern part, and were
succeeded by the Bakers. A part of the lands on which Richard Barnard
(3rd) had settled were included in that part of Newlin taken in the formation
of this township.