The original township of Coventry doubtless received its name from Samuel Nutt, an
early settler who came from Coventry in Warwickshire, England. The first settlers here were assessed in 1718 as the "highest district
from Skoolkill to Brandiwine.
In 1720 there was an attempt to divide the district between Coventry and Nantmeal, and the district
called "Scoolkil" was taxed alone in 1722. In 1841 the township was divided into North Coventry and South Coventry, and in 1844
East Coventry was formed by a division of North Coventry. In the latter
year the line between South Coventry and East Vincent was established.