The township of Brandywine was erected from the
northern part of East Caln twp in 1790, and extended northward to the southern
line of Springton Manor. It received its name from the stream by the 2
branches of which it was bounded respectively on its east and west sides.
It was divided into East and West Brandywine in 1844. In 1853 a small
part of the southern end of West Brandywine was taken in the formation of
Valley Township, and in 1859 the line between East and West was altered in a part
of its course so as to include in West Brandywine a part of East Brandywine.
In 1860 West Brandywine was enlarged on the north by a considerable addition
to it from the SE corner of Honeybrook and the western part of Wallace.
This addition included the Presbyterian church commonly known as Brandywine
Manor, which had theretofore been in Honeybrook.
The name Brandywine Manor being
borne in common parlance by this church, and there being also a post office of
the same name, has given the impression that there was a manor of that name.
This, however, was not the case. There never was a manor created by William
Penn or his heirs bearing the name of Brandywine. The church above
referred to its situation upon lands which formed part of the manor of
Springton. This manor embraced the greater part of what is now Wallace
Township and also a part of the present township of West Brandywine, and perhaps of
other townships. The church above referred to has been ecclesiastically known
from the earliest period of its history to the present time as 'The Forks
of Brandywine', and being located on manor land, it became popularly
known as the 'Manor Church', to which Brandywine, from the name of
the church , would naturally be added. It is commonly spoken of, even at
present day, by those residing in the vicinage, as the 'Manor Church'.
On the north line of the two townships
a survey was made in 1714 for George Claypoole of 1820 acres. South of
this, William Branson of Philadelphia held 1275 acres. In 1799 the
number of taxables was 193.