Vincent Township were leased and
settled much in the same manner as Pikeland, the settlers in many instances
taking leases with the reserved right of purchase. For a number of years
the improvements in these townships did not keep pace with those in other parts of
the county. The houses were generally very inferior, and the progress of
agriculture was slow. This general indisposition to improvement was, in
a large measure, owing to the nature of the tenures by which much of the land
was holden. The stimulus to active industry was wanting, but when the
tillers became the absolute owners of the soil the face of things was changed
and wore a more animating aspect; improvements were rapidly made, and Vincent
and Pikeland soon contained an enterprising class of citizens.
The township derived its name from
Sir Matthias Vincent and the tracts of land constituting it were for some
time known as "Cox and Company's 20,000 acres". French Creek,
which passes through the township was originally called Vincent River, and retained
that proud name for many years.
In 1838 according to a survey
ordered by the court, Vincent township was bounded as follows: NE by the
Schuylkill River, NW by Nantmell and Coventry, SW by Uwchlan SE by Joseph
The township was divided into East
and West Vincent in 1832. In 1844 the line between South Coventry and
East Vincent was established.
The borough of Springville, on
the Schuylkill River was taken from the eastern part of East Vincent Township and
incorporated in 1867. In 1872 that name was changed to Spring City.