We, the subscribers, knowing the necessity of public worship, and being
destitute of a piece of land to set a meeting house, do each of us, unite to
pay the respective sums under written, in order to get a warrant for
twenty-five acres of land adjoining Stephen Ail's (Ayles, Eyles) land, as
witness our hands.
The first house of worship was a log structure built in 1745 on the site of
the present graveyard. The Warrington Monthly Meeting, which was composed of
Newberry and Warrington Preparative Meetings, was established by authority
of the quarterly meeting. (Preparative meetings are established when
membership in a particular Meeting is very large or in this case, has
expanded beyond the established community.)
In 1747, Sadsbury Meeting, the
sponsoring quarterly meeting, appointed a committee to visit Friends west of
the Susquehanna. A favorable report was received and liberty was granted on
September 9, 1747 to organize the Warrington Monthly Meeting "for discipline
and the affairs of truth." The first monthly meeting was held in the log
meetinghouse October 9, 1747 and William Underwood was chosen clerk, the
highest office of the monthly meeting.
Since Warrington was in the center of the Quaker settlements, the first
monthly meeting which was held here in 1747 included Newberry, Menallen and
perhaps Huntingdon and York Springs. At present, Warrington comes under the
jurisdiction of the Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
The original log structure burned in 1749 but was rebuilt. The adjoining
cemetery was established as a burial ground for Quakers and others in the
community as early as 1760.