A new commission for justices
was issued May 28, 1680 by Governor Andros, in which the number was reduced
from 6 to 5, 2 of whom were English. As nearly as can be ascertained the
places of residence of the justices were; Israel Helm at Upland; Otto Ernest
Cock, at Tinicum; Henry Jones, at or near Wicaco; Lawrence Cock, at
Moyamensing; and George Brown, nearly opposite to Trenton.
They held their first
court at Upland on 8th June, and among other things ordered a poll tax of one
scipple of wheat or 5 gilders to be levied, "for defraying ye charges of
this court's sitting," to be brought unto Justice Otto Ernest att
Tinnagcong Island." They also determined to move the court form
Upland to "sit and meet at ye town of Kingsesse in ye Schuylkills."
*from Futhey and Cope's THE HISTORY OF CHESTER COUNTY