About 1845 to 1850, Elder Frederick Plummer, a minister of the denomination calling themselves "Christians" came into this county and preached in a grove near Kimbleville. He continued to hold services and made converts to his faith, who erected a brick church edifice about 2 miles SW of Kimbleville, in Franklin Township, which they called Mt. Olivet, and where a church of that persuasion was organized. Elder Charles H Plummer, a nephew of Frederick Plummer, was pastor for a few years and was succeeded by Elder Wm. H. Pittman. A Mr. Parvin also preached there for a time. About 1878 and 1879, Rev David Somers, of the church of the Disciples, in Penn Township preached there and superintended a Sunday-school. The church is now unoccupied for religious purposes (1881). The membership is not numerous. The United Brethren erected a church in Phoenixville, on Gay Street, in 1871, having previously held their services in the Mennonite meeting-house.
This page was updated on February 9, 2009