WOOD, Thomas, with Mary, his wife, and son William, came from Warwickshire,
England, and settled in Chester County. A daughter was born at sea on the
passage, and was named Richmonday. She married 3,31,1749, William
Sheppard, of Menallen (now) Adams County.
William Wood, born in Warwickshire 6,22,1723, died 4,20,1775, married
10,6,1749, Margaret Holland, born 5,18,1730, in Price George Co., Md., died
10,29,1775, daughter of Thomas and Margaret Holland. They settled in
Londongrove, and had children,--Thomas, m. Susanna Pusey; George; Mary, m.
to Caleb Swayne; Joseph, Cassandra, William, Elizabeth, Margaret, m. to
Garret Garretson; Joshua and Ruth.
Thomas and Susanna Wood were the parents of Joel, William, John, Lydia,
Nathan, Margaret, Thomas, Susanna, Pusey, Caleb, and Mary. Of these, John
married Lydia Swayne, and was the father of Thomas Wood, of Doe Run.
Joseph Wood, son of Thomas and Mary, died in 1797, aged sixty-seven
years. He married, 1,12,1769, Katharine Day, and settled in West
Nottingham. His children were Thomas, William, Joseph, Jesse, Lydia,
Elizabeth, David, John and Day.
Dr. James Bayard Wood was born in New Castle Co., Del., Nov. 5, 1817. In
1920 his father, Joseph Wood, removed with his family to Londongrove
township, Chester co. The educational advantages of Dr. Wood were only
those afforded by the common schools of the day, but he neglected no
opportunity to cultivate his mind and fit himself for usefulness in life.
He first learned the trade of a miller, which he followed about five years,
and then engaged in the mercantile business in Chatham. On the election of
William Rogers as sheriff, in the fall of 1840, he became his deputy, and
held the position dur9ng his term and for a time thereafter. In October,
1844, he was elected sheriff, and held the office three years. In 1849 he
engaged in merchandising in West Chester, and was also appointed
postmaster. He held this office by appointment of the Postmaster-General
and of the President until Mary, 1853. During this latter period he
studied medicine, and graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of
Pennsylvania in March, 1854. Since that time he has devoted his attention
almost exclusively to the practice of his profession, which is quite
extensive, and in which he has been very successful. He has been honored
with the position of president of the Chester County and State Homeopathic
Medical Societies, and has been one of the censors of the national society.
As a politician he has been active, and he has filled various posts of
honor in the parties to which he belonged. He has served in the councils
of the borough of West Chester, and since April, 1879, he has been chief
burgess. Through his instrumentality and persevering efforts the present
beautiful and enduring monument at the "Paoli massacre" grounds was erected
in 1877. His wife is a daughter of William Rogers, and his only son, Dr.
Henry C. Wood, is a physician in West Chester.