DENNY, William, probably of Scotch-Irish stock, settled in Uwchlan as early as 1735, and in 1750 obtained a patent for 293 acres next to land or Robert Smith and others. In 1775 he and his wife, Margaret, conveyed this to David Denny, one of their sons. William died Oct. 8, 1784, in his 77th year, and his widow May 7, 1794, aged 76.
David Denny was an active patriot in the Revolution and a useful citizen after its close; was a justice of the peace, and one of the first directors of the poor. He died Nov. 4, 1820, in his 78th year. His first wife, Elizabeth, died Sept. 21, 1809, aged 59 years, 6 months, 10 days, and Martha, his second wife, died June 14, 1867, in her 78th year. All were buried at Brandywine Manor church. We find a William Denny, unmarried, in Birmingham, 1721-22; as a married man in West Nottingham, 1734 to 1740, and perhaps later. Walter Denny was also unmarried in Birmingham, 1721-22, a married man in West Nottingham, 1724-26, and of Kennet, 1729-32.
William and Walter Denny, brothers, removed from Chester to Cumberland
County in 1745. William's wife was Agnes, daughter of John Parker, and
their son, Maj. Ebenezer Denny, was a prominent officer in the
Revolutionary and Indian wars, born March 11, 1761. A journal which he
kept during dome of the campaigns was published by the Historical Society
some year since. David Denny, for many years pastor of the Presbyterian
Church at Chambersburg, was a son of Walter.