DR. JAMES FULTON, brother of the last named, and son of James J. and Nancy (Ramsey) Fulton, was born Nov. 12, 1832. He was educated at the public schools of the neighborhood, at the academy of Even Pugh, at Delaware College (Newark, Del.), and at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He read medicine four years with Dr. Thomas H. Thompson, beginning in 1855 and graduating in 1859, when he began prqacticing his profession at Jennerville, his county. After two years he went into the army as assistant surgeon of the 143d Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, which position he held until his resignation, April 4, 1864. He was captured at the battle of Gettysburg, in the first day's fight, when the Union forces were driven back through the town, and reported to Gen. A. P. Hill, who directed him to go back of the hospital and do the best he could for the sick and wounded. In this battle it was his duty to provide food and shelter for the sick and wounded,--a difficult thing to do when the wounded were within the enemy's lines, and the trains with the provisions are to the south of the town. He tried begging from house to house, but this was an exceedingly slow operation, as the enemy had exhausted the supply before the battle came on. In looking around he found bakers and bakeries, but no flour. Upon consulting some of the rebel officers they advised him to visit Gen. Ewell, stating they had lenty of flour in their trains, and that he would willingly supply all needed. He accordingly visited Gen. Ewell, finding a sharp-visaged little man, enjoying a good breakfast on a bridge to the east of the town. He promised a supply of flour, and sent him back to duty happy in the thought of being soon able to provide food for the poor fellows who were suffering with hunger. This was on the morning of the third day of the battle. It is enough to say that the meal did not come, as at the time Dr. Fulton was talking with him the flour was getting away to "Old Virginia" as fast as the rebel teams could take it. After leaving the general and coming back to town, he told a baker what he had done, when the latter asked him if there was any assurance that a person would get paid if they furnished something in the line of provisions. The doctor told him he certainly would be paid, and he would give him vouchers. He then said that he had sixteen barrels of crackers which he would sell, and immediately proceeded to loosen the boards of the garrett of his shop, and brought down the crackers. The doctor procured a gurd, and had them taken to the different hospitals. They served a good purpose until the enemy retreated, when provisions poured in plentifully from all sides. Thus while the Union army was manfully struggling to hold its position to the south of the town, on Cemetery Hill, Round Top, and Culp's Hill, the doctor was busily engaged in trying to keep the wounded of the first day's fight from suffering with hunger. The doctor is a learned and skillful physician, enjoying in an eminent degree the confidence of the community and the esteem of the medical world.
He married, 5, 16, 1861, Anna M. Johnson, by whom he has had the following children: Rebecca, James, Mary, Carrie, William, and Gertrude. He is a member of the
Oxford Medical Society, of the Chester County Medical Society (of which he has
been president), and is now the examining surgeon of the government for the
pension department of this county. He belongs to the F. and A. M. and I.O.O.F.,
in both of which he has been quite prominent.