DR. JAMES ANDERSON was born in Charlestown, now Schuylkill township, April 11, 1782. He was the eldest son of Hon. Isaac Anderson, a gentlman of extensive reading and high position. His early life was spent chiefly at home, and his education was such as the country at that time afforded to its youth. In 1803, he attended a Latin school in Norristown, and in the following year commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Roger Davis, with whom he remained for some time. He attended lectures in the University of Pennsylvania for two years, and received his degree in 1806. He first located in Radnor township, Delaware Co. In 1840 he married Mary, daughter of William Thomas, of Lower Merion, Montgomery Co., and there purchased a farm, upon which he settled, and where he resided until his death. He was actively and extensively engaged in the practice of his profession for upwards of thirty years. He was twice married, his second wife being Mary, the daughter of Joseph Wilson, Esq. He educated three of his sons to the profession of medicine. Dr. Anderson was possessed of great energy, decision, and firmness of character, inflexible in his principles and the maintenance of that which he believed to be right. He died June 1, 1858, in the seventy-seventh year of his age.
ANDREWS, ALEXANDER, was born in this country about 1759, and took an active part in the revolution. He afterward settled down on the east bank of the Octorara, where he died in 1846. Andrews' bridge, over that stream, was named for him.
ARTHUR ANDREWS, of Oxford township, married, prior to 1785, Anness, daughter of James Cooper, and was an active citizen of that neighborhood.
JOHN ANDREWS married Jane Cooper, daughter of James, and became the owner of 300 acres in Oxford which had belonged to this father-in-law.
APPLE, CAPTAIN WILLIAM, was born in Philadelphia, December 17, 1796. He spent his early life there, serving a full apprenticeship to the trade of copper- and tin-smithing, and working at his trade. In 1824 he came to West Chester and established himself in the same business, upon the spot where he ended his busy and useful life in March, 1872, aged over seventy-five years. In March, 1834, he united with the Presbyterian Church of the borough, of which he continued an active member until his death. Blessed with a wife who might almost be seen to be the original of the portrait drawn by the wise men in Proverbs xxxi. 10-31, and whose deeds of charity are yet fragrant in our memories, he was eminently successful in all his undertakings in life. Wise in his investments, he accumulated a competency, which he had always used for the welfare of the community. His tastes led him to cultivate and foster the organizations for military, fire, and police service, which he deemed essential to the interests of the borough. He often served as a director or trustee of the various monetary interests of the community.
Captain Apple was singlarly liberal in his aid to the struggling, whether in direct charity or in the loan of means or of credit. Very independent in his views, and outspoken in the expression of them, he was always the model gentleman, and his upright form and elastic step were indicative of the untarnished conscience, the unblemished integrity, and the cheerful loving spirit which dwelt in him. His wife died about sixteen months before his own demise.
ARNOLD, RICHARD, of Burlington, married, 2, 29, 1681, at John Woolston's house, near Burlington, Sarah Chamberlin, and subsequently settled in Thornbury, Chester County, where he died in December, 1720. His children were,-- 1. John, d. 1717; 2. Grace, m. in 1710 Ralph Eavenson; 3. Thomas, m. 1714 to Hannah Eavenson, and in 1729 to Ann Rattew; 4. Josiah; 5. Elizabeth, m. Richard Pritchard in 1716; 6. William; 7. Richard; 8. Sarah; 9. Anthony, m. 9, 39, 1737, to Sarah Buffington, widow of John, and daughter of Thomas Eavenson, of Thornbury. He died in September, 1746, in East Bradford, leaving one child, Hannah, weho became the wife of Col. Isaac Taylor. Thomas Arnold was a fuller, and established a fulling-mill in West Bradford, now in the possession of the Temple family.
ASH, JOSHUA, of Darby, married Alice Woodward, daughter of Richard and Mary, of East Bradford, and had issue,--1. Joshua, b. 4, 16, 1743; m. Abigail Evans, 3, 23, 1769. 2. Caleb, b. 11, 12, 1744; m. Rebecca Lownes. 3. Matthew, b. 10, 28, 1746; died young. 4. Samuel, b. 5, 31, 1748; m. Martha Pearson and Hannah Crozer. 5. Sarah, b. 3, 28, 1753. 6. Matthew, b. 2, 25, 1758; m. Mary Gibbons, who died 3, 24, 1862, aged ninety-seven years.
The children of Matthew and Mary were Jane (m. Abishai Clark), Sarah, Hannah, MAry, Elizabeth, John, Humphry M., Joseph G., Margaret G., Matthew, Caleb, Joshua W., James, Robert P., Ann, George W.
JOHN ASH, of Darby, perhaps a brother of Joshua.
married 2, 25, 1744, Ann Hibberd, of the same township.